Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Authenticity

In our bid to be human we often find ourselves asserting our identity, fighting for our rights to be ourselves.

But, what really constitutes this entity called 'self'? How do we remain authentic to ourselves, when our preferences and desires are in turn based on external factors such as upbringing, and the limited variety of options that are actually available to us?

How are you so sure that your choices are true to your own character? How do you know if you really like chocolate, and that you're not subconsciously influenced to like chocolate?

Well, I don't know.

I started this entry, ruminating if I should sport a more popular and palatable short hairstyle (many say that such hairstyles are more attractive). Or I could keep my hair long, and my hair has always been longish ever since I could remember. It feels more in character to continue keeping long hair, somehow, but is that truly, authentically me?

Should I sacrifice aesthetics to be myself?

All I know is that I still feel like keeping my long hair, and keep it, I shall.

I can always change my mind later.

No comments:

Post a Comment